Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:06:51 -0700
From:      James Earl <james@icionline.ca>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up FreeBSD wireless for sales person

Hi,

I'm setting up a sales person's notebook with a wireless card.  This
sales person travels around and usually stays in hotels.  He needs to
be able to connect to the hotel's internet connection whether it be a
wired or wireless connection.  I previously had him running OpenBSD
with a Sierra AirCard (would've been FreeBSD but I couldn't get it
working :).

I picked up a D-Link DWL-AG660.  I currently have FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE
on the notebook.  I see the DWL-AG660 isn't detected by 6-RELEASE,
hopefully just because it needs to have the device ids added?

I don't have much experience with running a wireless setup with
FreeBSD so I thought I'd seek your thoughts on whether I should turn
this guy loose with FreeBSD and wireless, or if I should just put
win98 on it for him.  I imagine there may be cases where he'd have to
change ssid's depending on the hotel network he's connecting to...
which may complicate things... although I see there's some GNOME
wireless applets which may work with FreeBSD?

I guess the key question is whether it's possible to set this up to be
user friendly enough for a non-technical person... the less
interaction, the better?