Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 13:50:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Ade Lovett wrote:

> pkg_add doesn't, no.  However, by the addition of another command,
> say pkg_register, one could grab a binary package by whatever means,
> and then say "I've downloaded this package, I've put it somewhere,
> so if you need it at any future point, I have it already"

I suppose the main use in this would be for CD-users who could
tell pkg_register to go looking on the CD for the pkg.

If you're going to go away from packaging all the dependancies of
a meta-package inside its single package, then you need a way for
CD users to tell pkg_add to automatically search the CD for
packages and dialup users to search ftp.mirror.freebsd.org.  A
URL could point to the global package location
(file://cdrom/packages, ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/packages-2.2.2,
etc).

This still does nothing for the situation (d/l via Zmodem) that I
outlined, but I guess I can live with that.

> We already have something like this, with the way in which sysinstall
> handles 'src', which gives the option of everything, or bits and pieces.

Yes, something "like" this.  I'm saying it should be done through
the existing ports system.  If sysinstall wants to divide
everything into a gazillion different compartments, I don't
really care.  I want to see these compartments done through the
ports system because of the greater flexibility it provides.

> 	bin/
> 		bin-base
> 		bin-perl
> 		bin-tcl
> 		bin-ALL
>
> No?

Yes, but through an extended ports system.  :)

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk