Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:10:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      chuckr@glue.umd.edu
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        rb@gid.co.uk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

On 17 Nov, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just trying to find out about the scalability of doing make
> worlds .
>
> A couple of us are suspecting problems with the system:
> fast SMP systems VS. fast Uniprocessor systems with fast disk drives.
> Simon Shapiro first alluded to a problem and I wanted an independent
> confirmation .

[some deletions]
> The partition(s) should be mounted async, noatime:
> mount -u -o async,noatime /obj
> mount -u -o async,noatime /usr
>
> Yes, there is a danger in setting up /usr async

Then why are you proposing everyone do it that way?  It's a benchmark,
it should be safe to run for everyone, not just those who don't mind an
occaisonal reinstall.  The benchmark would be just as valid, as long as
everyone uses the same thing, if a sync mount is used.  This kind of
thing isn't portable, say, to unix, we're comparing FreeBSD systems to
FreeBSD systems here.

> do a make clean -- to eliminate the variable of some cleaning an
> empty /obj vs a populated /obj
>
> Include the output of dmesg
>
> /etc/make.conf options:
> CFLAGS= -O  -pipe
> NOPROFILE=      true
>
> I never use the profiled libraries and it seems to me that this should be
> the default given that most users would probably not know how to use them
> anyhow.
>
> Since most of us prefer the above CFLAGS options it should be default or
> does anyone have any objects as to why "-O -pipe" should not be the default.
>
> Next, we should have a web page where people can post their benchmarks.
> This will help newbies to determine the best configurations at least
> with respect to a build machine.
>
> 	Amancio
>
>> >[Various people on what should comprise the definitive worldstone...]
>>
>> Unless everyone has identical configurations (which would kinda miss the
>> point), it's not going to be possible to level the playing field. Eg:
>>
>> - -pipe and/or -jx don't help unless you have enough real memory
>>
>> - multiple spindles seem to help a lot: I got well under 2h (not accurately
>> timed, unfortunately) burning in a K6-200 with 2x4.4G Quantum Atlas on a
>> 2940UW
>>
>> - do the rules allow turning off daemons to free up memory while building?
>>
>> Also, the target time (whatever that is) is going to change over time. I've
>> seeing significant changes in build time on the same machine with the same
>> options over a period of months: I may post something on this subject.
>>

>> --
>> Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
>> rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |