Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:57:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing vm_offset_t's

>  > External code that depends on kernel structures is inherently broken;
>  > think of this as an opportunity to correct the external code.
>
> Last I checked, it was rather difficult to write kernel code, such as
> a device driver, without depending on at least some kernel structures.

Device drivers are internal to the kernel, not external.

Maybe you mean "third party", and not "external"?

When I see "external code depending on kernel structures...", I
inevitably think of "ps" and similar code that has to be recompiled
when the kernel data structures change because some idiot thought
it's be a good idea to read the KVA space instead of implementing a
procedural interface that wouldn't change between structure revs.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.