Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:05:03 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Is poll(2) available?

I have an application where I really need to be able to respond
to inputs from a very large number of input channels.

I have looked at using the select(2) system call, but it seems to
me that this is limited by the maximum size of the type `fd_set'
and that it may not be able to handle as many simultaneous connections
as I need to handle.

Someone suggested to me that I should instead use the poll(2) system
call, but I can't find and documentation or include files for that on
my FreeBSD 2.2.2 system.

Is that system call available in a later version of the FreeBSD kernel?
If so, which one?

Thanks in advance.

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/