Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 01:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: license (no longer Re: uptimes, Woo Hoo)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Michael Lucas wrote:

> But what do *we* get out of it?  Simply the satisfaction of knowing
> your work is in a photocopier's brain?

Why do I prefer the BSD license? Because it helps to raise the bar of
software quality for everyone, everywhere. BSD code can be used anywhere
with no real strings attached, so it makes a logical foundation from which
to build yet higher. BSD software makes the world a better place because
people don't have to worry about reimplementing the exact same damn piece
of code from scratch, simply because the license terms are unacceptable
for their project.

How much time has been wasted by the GNU folks alone recoding "free"
versions of programs for which BSD versions have existed for decades?

Kris