Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 18:18:22 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        Paul Picard <paul@reef.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: netatalk & FreeBSD 3.1 problem

On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 11:32:45AM -0700, Paul Picard wrote:
> I've seen a couple of these on the lists, but I can't seem to resolve the
> problem.  We had netatalk running fine under 2.2.6, we upgraded to 3.1 and
> I installed the port and now we are getting the following error:
>
> [/usr/local/etc/rc.d]->/usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd
> fxp0: Invalid argument
> Can't configure multicast.
>
> Here is our atalkd.conf file:
> [/usr/local/etc/rc.d]-> more ../atalkd.conf
> #fxp0
> #fxp0 -phase 2 -net 1-65279
> fxp0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.19
>
> and here is our iconfig of the device:
> [/usr/local/etc/rc.d]-> ifconfig fxp0
> fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet ***.***.***.40 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast ***.***.***.255
>         ether 00:a0:c9:06:36:df
>         media: autoselect
>         supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP
>
> I am really baffled by this, if anyone out there could help, that would be
> great.
>
> Paul Picard
> paul@reef.com

I don't remember the details but there was some architectural change
in FreeBSD 3 that kept netatalk from initializing properly. There was
a patch floating around on the netatalk mailing list but a better
solution is to use the netatalk-asun port which did not have the problem
(perhaps the patch was already incorporated). If this does not work then
I can't really help because it has been a few months since I have used
netatalk. My wife said the old Mac was taking up too much room and it
could not run the software she wanted so it had to go. You may want to
try the netatalk mailing list however.
--
Glenn Johnson
Technician