Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:18:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   LS120 driver

Howdy ya'll!

A big log fell on my head the other day and right after that
I thought hey, why don't I write a device driver for the LS120
drive(s) for FreeBSD. These beasts are backwards compatible all
the way to the very useful 720K capacity, 1.44 Meg and of course
the 120Meg, the latter requiring a new disk type.
As I thought about this more, and the damage appeared to set in, I
came up with some questions which I now present for your review:

1. Am I totally crazy? (Optional reply)

2. Is someone already working on such an animal?

3. This will be my first device driver, and I'm sure noone
   knows who I am, so it may be an improper thing for me to
   do at this time, so I guess this is an opportunity for a
   core like team member to jump in and say "Hey BUB layoff!"

4. Currently there are three types of those drives, Internal
   IDE, External-parallel and PCMCIA one. Which one would be
   best to start with. Since I can only afford one and the
   internal one is the cheapest I'm leaning there. The drivers I
   imagine will be very similar to IOMEGA Zip/Jaz drives. So if
   anyone is intimately (or reasonably) familiar with those DDs
   jump in on this answer.

5. Is the Device driver for the internal Zip drive bootable?
   External-parallel?
   External-PCMCIA?

6. I guess If all this shakes down, then I'll have to go to Imation,
   apparently the principal player, and ask for specifications.
   If anyone has horror stories or how to approach this
   diplomatically or even which department usually takes care of
   that kinda stuff, please let me know. Offline is fine.

For list only repliers, hi J'org :-), I'm currently not subscribed
to -hackers, so shoot 'em my way, please, as gently as possible.

Thanks a lot for any and all help.

Your humble scholar, Rudy.