Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD/X11 on NEC Daylite?

A little while ago I asked about FreeBSD on an NEC LaVie MX2.  I have
now come to the understanding that this is actually marketed outside
of Japan as the NEC Daylite.  I'm wondering if anyone has gotten their
hands on one of these and tried FreeBSD/XFree86 on it.

Here are the issues I'm curious about:

1) It comes with a USB CD-ROM drive and no floppy drive.  I'm
wondering if the FreeBSD installation code will be able to read from
this.

2) It has a builtin 10/100 ethernet.  Is this usable under FreeBSD?

3) The screen used an ATI Mobility-M chip set.  I've seen some
information about patches for XFree86 4.0.1 in order to make this work
and I've seen other info saying the X server crashes on the LaVie MX
under Linux about once every week or so.  Any info there?

4) If I have to remove the hard drive and install onto it using
another computer, is it compatible with other IDE systems?  The reason
I ask is that I currently have an AST Ascentia-P, an IBM Thinkpad
755C, and a Libretto 110CT, and the IDE drives between all three can't
be booted on any of the others!  (I understand there's a pin issue
with the Thinkpad, but I don't understand the problems between the
Libretto and the AST - maybe BIOS version?)

Other systems which I'm considering are:

* Sony Picturebook (it's small - I like that)
* Libretto L2 (small also - builtin ethernet)

but I really want something which is visible in direct sunlight.

Any help, pointers, or other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all of the help I've gotten from this list over the years!

/raj