Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:14:07 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3d in 1280x1024

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 03:50:24AM +0200, Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de> wrote:

> I was not sure about it, because I have an K6-300 only, but it turned out,
> that it was a good decision to switch from a RIVA 128 card (up to 800x600) and
> buy a new RIVA TNT card.
>
> This one is relatively cheap, due to the new TNT2 and TNT2 Ultra based cards,
> not to mention the new chip later this year.
>
> Nice fast 3d animations in 1280x1024 and there are some additional 2d
> optimizations in XF 3.3.4
>
> (still lots of potential, because the drivers are not highly optimized
>  and the protocol overhead problem will be tackled with DRI not before XF 4)

How the RIVA based cards compare to Matrox ones in the case of 2D
quality? All usual references in the 'Net say that RIVA cards have below
average 2D quality but I haven't tried myself. I'm planning to buy new
graphics card in the near future, but can't decide which one, G400 with
32MB or some TNT2 Ultra. Ultimately I don't want new card which 2D
quality is weaker than my current G200. Comments?
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee