Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:21:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: Debug kernel by default? (was: Taking panic dumps (was: 3.1-S TABLE dies on 40+ connects (resolved)))

paul@originative.co.uk writes:
> > Greg Lehey writes:
> > > In that connection, any comments about changing the default way of
> > > building a kernel to create a debug kernel and a stripped copy, and
> > > install the stripped copy?  It would require about 10 MB more storage
> > > and a little more time to build the kernel, but since kgdb is useless
> > > without the debug symbols, and disk space is cheap, it seems to me
> > > that it would be worthwhile.
> >
> > Building debug kernels takes up a lot more space, which some people
> > may not have.
> >
> > How about simply fixing 'config -g' to generate a Makefile that
> > does the extra step of copying and stripping the kernel and installing
> > the stripped version kernel.strip instead of kernel?
>
> Unless I misunderstood Greg I think the intention is to always build a debug
> kernel without the user really realising that is happening so that when they
> have a panic they've got the infrastructure there to let the "support team"
> track down the problem.

[ trimmimg freebsd-net ]

Right.. I'm just worried that certain people may object to changing the
behavior to do this automatically (not me by the way).

> I think that's a good idea, switch the options around so that by default a
> debug kernel is built and provide an option to build a "production" kernel.
> I don't think a kernel built with -g is going to be significantly slower or
> bigger than a standard kernel once stripped and those after maximum
> performance should know how to go about getting it.

This is just doing my steps #1 and #2 at the same time, ie:

  Step #1: Fix config -g makefile
  Step #2: Make config assume -g by default

My point was just that doing these steps one at a time would be
more digestable to the world. Just trying to take the conservative
approach (maybe I've been conditioned :-)

> The extra disk space for the build would be only problem but given the size
> of the code base these days most people who have source will have enough
> spare disk to build a debug kernel.

Yes, that's your assumption isn't it... :-)

-Archie