Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 22:27:52 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Mark Handley <mjh@east.isi.edu>
Cc:        Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tick, tock, I need a fast clock...

> >Are there any timers available to applications in FreeBSD faster than
> >10ms?  If not, is there a simple way to increase the interval timers
> >minimal time to something like .1ms without adversely effecting system
> >performance?
>
> I has the same requirement earlier this week.  You can change the
> value of HZ in /usr/src/sys/conf/param.c from the default value of 100
> to something larger and rebuild.  My system is currently running with
> this set to 1000, which allows interval timers using select of around
> 2ms (why isn't it 1ms??).  The system seems to run fine, but the
> values measured for per-process CPU utilization by top (and presumably
> other utilities) are low by an order of magnitude.  Presumably this is
> a bug in some of the kernel stats code.
>
> It does seem somewhat rediculous that HZ is still set to 100 by
> default in these days of 400MHz processors.

What's needed is some smarter hardware, not more frequent interrupts.  For
an example, take a look at http://www.bancomm.com/cbc637PCI.htm
for a board with the ability to provide time with approximately
microsecond precision.  Hook it to an external IRIG-B timecode source,
internal GPS receiver for more precise time and frequency.

I'm working on a project with the CompactPCI version of this for precise
packet arrival timestamps.  (e.g., timestamp each packet deep in the
driver as it arrives.  Just a few PCI bus cycles to do so..)

louie