Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:00:28 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd revealing too much stuff.

Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org> probably said:
> :: 	You obviously have not needed to deal with security in a large
> :: 	corporate environment spread over semi-automonous administative
> :: 	relms.  Just telling people to upgrade does not alway work.
> :: 	You need to go out and verify that they have done this.  Logging
> :: 	onto each and every box is not a solution that scales.

Actually, yes I have on several occasions, and it scaled perfectly
well for us.

I stop bind giving out it's version number, I stop my MTA of choice
giving out it's version number. It irritates me greatly that ssh
gives out far more information than is needed for the connection.

> Hear, hear... btdt.

*shrug*
My experience is different.

It could at least be a config file option so those of us who want to
turn it off can do so once, and no thave to rebuild it for every new
release.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu