Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 17:34:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Home)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (chat@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: Modem Woes

> I'm using a copy of FreeBSD 3.1 and an Aztec modem.
>
> Alas I have been struggling with my modem over the last couple of days.
>
> Every time I add the other two serial ports sio2 & sio3 and I look at
> the boot .. I see a not found messsage.
>
> However, I know its a fact that the modem is com4 in windows.
>
> Is it that I really really have to go do a custom kernel? If so do I
> just add the serial ports there or do I have to add pnp support in the
> kernel.

In FreeBSD, COM ports can not share IRQs.

If your modem is COM4: in Windows, it uses IRQ 3, which is
already allocated to COM2:.

Rejumper or re-software configure your card to use an IRQ
other than 3.

Note that Windows can "share" IRQs 4 and 3 (COM1: IRQ 4,
COM2: IRQ 3, COM3: IRQ 4, COM4: IRQ 3) because it does not
open both COM1: and COM3: or COM2: and COM4: simultaneously.

FreeBSDs driver is either more stupid (in not supporting
exclusive use, or enabling interrupts from the UARTs _only_
when the ports are open), OR it is more intelligent (in
permitting all 4 serial ports to be used at the same time,
instead of limiting you to two of them) -- it depends on
your point of view.

PS: FreeBSD _probably_ ought to permit both modes of serial
port operation; feel free to submit patches.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.