Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:01:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Jason McKay <jasonm@barney.webace.com.au>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WinNT to FreeBSD

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Jason McKay wrote:

> We are currently operating an ISP under Windows NT Server 4, and are
> seriously thinking about changing and running it under FreeBSD 2.2.2.
>
> There is only one thing holding us back, it is very important that we keep
> track of our users, such as login times and length of login plus how much
> they are downloading per call.
>
> Windows NT displays all this information easily, I have not yet found a
> way to receive the same level of info from FreeBSD .. Can anyone please
> suggest some ideas?  As we _REALLY_ want to change over ASAP.

Are you using Excalibur, by any chance?  Those stats are from Excalibur,
not from NT itself.  The 'last' command in FreeBSD tells you about user
login times.  It is possible to count traffic for users, but there is
no 'standard application' to do it, and it depends on how the user
actually connects (there are two ways of doing ppp).

Danny