Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 09:25:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current state of the conventional wisdom?

On Monday,  3 May 1999 at 13:22:52 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 1999, Studded wrote:
>
>> 1. As far as I can see, 3.1-Stable is the way to go. I need info on the
>> best way to upgrade a 2.2.8 system to 3.1-Stable, going fully(?) elf in
>> the process.
>
> I suggest holding off until 3.5.  3.X is a total mess at the moment, and
> if your 2.2.8 box is running fine then don't touch it.

Huh?  What gives you that idea?  I've been running 3.X for some time
now, and I haven't had any trouble.  If you make such negative
statements, you should at least justify them.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend installing 3.1 right now.  3.2
will be released in the middle of the month, and it's probably worth
waiting for.

>> 4. I definitely need fast, reliable NFS if I'm going to sell the people
>> at work on using freebsd, so how is that working in 3.1, or am I better
>> off going to 4.x? I will be interfacing primarily with sun's. I have
>> seen a flurry of nfs-related mail in the last few days, trying to catch
>> up on that now.
>
> 3.X does not have reliable NFS yet, AFAIK.

We've had trouble with NFS for years.  3.X is no worse than 2.X, and
it's probably better.  The good news is that we've recently seen a lot
of fixes for NFS go into -CURRENT, and they'll probably appear in 3.X
(probably 3.3) as well.

Greg