Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:48:35 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deprecating ps(1)s -w switch

Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 August 2009 15:44:47 Ed Schouten wrote:
>> * Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>> I recently closed bin/137647 and had second thoughts after Ivan (the
>>> originator) challenged my reason for closing it.
>>>
>>> The suggestion is that ps's -w switch is a strange artifact that can
>>> be safely deprecated.  ps goes to great lengths to implement width
>>> limitations, and any time I've seen people not using -ww has either
>>> been a mistake or doesn't matter.

The difference between "ps", "ps -w", and "ps -ww" is pretty
significant for Java, in particular.  Java command lines
are typically enormous (thank you, CLASSPATH) which makes
"ps -ww" often more annoying than it's worth.

I concur with another poster that the GNU ps approach for
supporting multiple argument styles deserves consideration.

Tim