Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2012 06:37:02 -0800
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.0-RELEASE amd64 Bricked My Hard Drive

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had been running a similar computer with Windows XP with it. The
> drive was working fine a few moments before I did the install. I have
> a utility to test hard drives which boots from CD but like I said, when
> this drive is on a cable connected to any machine, booting is a
> non-option. I have an old IDE controller but it's ISA and I have
> not ISA slots on this computer. Looks like I may have to try the USB
> drive boot option to get on with this rescue.

Weirdness.. ok, i was wondering - you said you installed an old drive to
check it out, and I was thinking  hmm 80gb, maybe setting on the shelf for
a decade :)

I do recall having a similar issue with a drive, but it was years and years
ago- my memory hazed, and not necessarily (probably not) related to FreeBSD
install. If you aren't getting POST then it sounds hardware related to me.

Good Luck,

Waitman