Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:21:25 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Libh <freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adding Disk::freespace to lib[h]disk

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

On Wed Oct 10, 2001 at 08:01:22PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>=20
> Just for the record:  I'm not actively interested in libdisk...

Noted. phk removed from cc: :)

Ok, then I guess libdisk is left to itself now?

I think libdisk should be rewritten, maybe keeping a compatibility layer
with the current libdisk.

This is because I think there are some fundamental designs flaws in
libdisk. For example, it mixes "undo management" with low-level disk
writing routines. libdisk should be low-level, that is, not an "image"
of the current that gets written only when write() is called, but a set
of clearly defined operations that operate directly on the disk.

An additional "upper level" layer might be implemented to provide the
kind of facilities libdisk provides (undo(), write()).

The problem with current implementation is that the disk contains
implementation-specific data (ie, subtype codes) that are undocumented
and sometimes conflict with library specific data (ie type codes:
[0-6]).

So what do you people think? Am I making any sense?

A.

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C--