Date:      Mon, 09 May 2011 15:45:56 +0200
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for Testers: VirtualBox 4.0.6

On Mon, 09 May 2011 05:57:05 -0700, Yuri wrote:
> I think 4.0.6 is quite stable now. Is it really less stable than the
> current version in ports 3.2.12?

There are a few regressions also in 4.0.6 but it's already a lot better
than 4.0.4. We have already decided last week to update the ports to
4.0.6 soon (currently waiting for a repocopy).

> Why don't you at least put them into ports/emulators repository with
> -devel suffix like many other ports do? So that there is no need to go
> through the third party repository.

Throwing another -devel port in the won't solve anything! In fact it
would even make the situation much worse because it trains people to use
beta software which we strongly discourage and causes even more error
reports and debugging headaches for another version that we would have
to maintain.

We have that 3rd party repository because it is our working repository.
You should not use it at all if you don't want to be a beta tester and
work with us to solve specific problems. If you use them for regular
systems you are clearly doing something wrong except you have done a
_lot_ of testing.

We know that the situation is not perfect and we have already taken a
few actions to improve it but if that is still not enough to you we need
more people and a bigger team to test earlier, more and faster.

Read here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2011-April/008633.html

--
Bernhard Froehlich