Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:25:24 +0200
From:      Oleg Tarasov <subscriber@osk.com.ua>
To:        Jon Simola <jon@abccomm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failover and load balancing using advanced NAT daemon

Hello,

Jon Simola <jon@abccomm.com> wrote:

> You may want to check out PF, the packet filter imported from OpenBSD.
> I have it running on some large routers doing NAT out multiple
> interfaces, load balancing and policy routing. Careful use of anchors
> and some scripting (or ifstated which might be in ports) can move
> traffic off failed links or respond to changing loads.

> I've done a lot with both ipfw and PF now, and I'm finding PF to be
> more flexible for my uses.

Thanks. I've looked through PF documentation and find it quite
interesting to use in this tasks. In combination with ifstated much
can be done.

I'm sorry for my incompetence in this case. I have always used ipfw
for packet processing and now find a mistake not looking through PF.
As I can now say ipfw is faster and easier to configure, but PF
contains more flexible mechanisms supporting aliasing address pools
for NAT and stateful routing.

The only visible problem I see is a lack of policy routing in FreeBSD
routing system which is used to create session listener when packets
origin is a router itself (like tunnels) and packets cant be passed
through NAT to be routed to another interface different from that in
routing table.

--
Best regards,
 Oleg Tarasov                          mailto:subscriber@osk.com.ua