Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:49:38 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Uh oh.. Time to take another look at the packages collection!

In <ML-3.3.875545742.5627.patl@asimov>, patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:
> > >The FreeBSD-current packages collection currently requires 713MB, not
> > >counting the filename information itself (which, on CDs, is stored
> > >very wastefully and generally accounts for another 30-40MB in cases
> > >like this where you have hundreds of files).  I don't need to tell
> > >anyone here that 750MB does *not* fit on a single CD, and even with
> > >4 CDs for 3.0 we're going to run into problems just organizing it.
>
> What are the sizes if we put the basic English versions on CD A
> and the other languages on B ?  That split should generate a set
> of dependancy trees where packages on A never depend on packages
> on B.

Sounds good.

> > bzip2 compresses somewhat better than gzip. The sum of file sizes in
> > my pkg dir is 493972390 with gzip and 447683380 with bzip2 -9 (don't
> > ask my boss what our one P6 did all morning :-)
>
> Is that gzip's default compression ratio, or gzip -9 ?

Whatever Jordan uses to produce them, it looks like -9.

BTW, it seems you don't generate CC: headers for all addresses in this
discussion, looks like you sent individual message to -ports and
me. This does't allow me to reply to all using a group reply.

Martin
--
Martin.Cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de http://www.cons.org/cracauer/