Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:22:27 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   idempotent automount invocation?

Hi there,

11/stable amd64

I am moving my cluster configuration management to saltstack
and have this issue with autofs.  It seems that multiple
invocations of automount stack up the maps on certain
shares.

For instance, if /etc/autofs/knuth-nfs contains the direct maps:

/mnt/knuth/packages  -intr,nfsv4,minorversion=1 knuth:/export/packages
/usr/src  -intr,nfsv4,minorversion=1 knuth:/usr/src
/usr/obj -intr,nfsv4,minorversion=1 knuth:/usr/obj

Then after a number of automount invocations mount shows something
like this:

[...]
/raid/library on /export/library (nullfs, NFS exported, local, nfsv4acls)
map autofs/knuth-nfs on /mnt/knuth/packages (autofs)
map autofs/knuth-nfs on /usr/src (autofs)
map autofs/knuth-nfs on /usr/obj (autofs)
map autofs/knuth-nfs on /usr/obj (autofs)
map autofs/knuth-nfs on /usr/obj (autofs)

Is there a way to prevent the multiple /usr/obj maps?  It seems
odd that /mnt/knuth/packages and /usr/src don't stack up in
a similar way.

BTW, in practice autofs works fantastic.  It has enabled some
important simplifications in my maintenance.

Thanks,
Russell