Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 19:55:40 CDT
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What has happened to FreeBSD?

  Lately (over the past few months) I have been having numerous
problems with FreeBSD.  Well, actually only a single problem that is
the machine (dual pentium 133) crashes very often.  In hope of finding
a stable release of -STABLE (yes, my "-stable" machine is lucky to last
a day before a reboot) I have been running cvsup and building and
installing a new kernel at least once a week.  Please note that also
while I have the ddb option enabled a kernel crash never starts ddb.
Also, even though I have a crash device set no core image is ever
generated.  Now, the latest kernel would not boot for some reason and
displayed an error before falling to the loader prompt.  Having seen
that changes had been made to the loader I tried compiling
/usr/src/sys/boot/* and installing the files.  After all the pieces
were installed I did a `disklabel -B da0` and rebooted thinking that
this would solve the latest problem.  Now I never see the loader and
the machine reboots immediately.

  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks.

---
Kent Vander Velden
kent@iastate.edu