Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 96 02:17:21 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD driver

 > Hi all,
 > i'm currently playing with some improvements to the (SCSI) CD driver.
 > I've got the first prototype of multi-track support already running,
 > and have been playing a little with CD-DA.  (Sheesh, i should really
 > get a soundcard, i guess. :)

Oh you will need to fix the sound drivers too :-) I don't know if
there is a mainboard/soundcard/driver-version able to play
16bit/44.1KHz sound. I had some success 1 year ago with a pas16, but I
am sure you will have problems with -current and a GUS max :-(

 > Alas, it seems that each vendor picked a different method to allow
 > digital reading of CD-DA tracks.  The SCSI-2 specs made the IMHO big
 > mistake to forbid reading these data with a regular READ command.
 > (The drive _must_ return BLANK CHECK / Illegal mode for this track
 > when attempting to read CD-DA data.)  So now, some of the vendors
 > apparently enable it by using a vendor-specific `density code' in the
 > MODE SELECT block descriptor (0x82, applicable to at least the Toshiba
 > 3401 and higher), followed by a regular read.  Other drives seem to
 > use a specific command (0xd8) that is similar to READ(12) but reads
 > audio data (reported for Plextor, my Toshiba 3401 can also do this,
 > but, the Toshiba 3501 rejects it).  I didn't find anything specific in
 > the CD-R writer specs for my Plasmon, so i assume it can read them
 > regularly (perhaps requires a MODE SELECT with a block size of 2352
 > before, i have to test this).

 > The big question now is how to place the hooks in the CD driver that
 > allow for the various methods, and how to assign/enable the hooks.
 > They must be applicable to each device separately, since it's
 > certainly possible that someone has two or more different drives.  I
 > thought of using LKM's for it, but think this will be difficult for
 > multiple different drives.

And it may happen that some drives forbid totally CD-DA. I think you
need to select the method according to the drive identification and
then to have a manufacturer/model -> method table somewhere.

 > While we are at it, does anybody know of other methods to enable
 > CD-DA?

I have (had? - I have not tested it for a long time) CD-DA working
with my sony drives, using the 0xd9 scsi command. I implemented it
with an additional ioctl.

 > --
 > cheers, J"org

 > joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
 > Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Jean-Marc
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr