Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 02:54:32 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Carl Makin <cmakin@nla.gov.au>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

On Feb 02, 1997 at 10:14:38PM, Carl Makin wrote:
> > Further, I think we should not adapt to every new password scheme around.
>
> Along this topic, has anyone looked at Sunsoft's "PAM" (Pluggable
> Authentication Modules).  RedHat Linux 4.1 has an implementation.

Yes. See also previous comments.

> PAM looks like it has the possibility of supporting these schemes
> reasonably cheaply.

Not cheaply. In fact, from a browse through the existing PAM
modules it blows it out into featuritis land. Nor does it seem
to scale features to specific users or methods of access as
login.conf does, although I quite agree that this could be
easily done (it just doesn't seem to be part of the basic
system).

I just don't see the need to have one entire module handle,
for example, /etc/nologin. It's only a few lines of code, for
heaven's sake!

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/