Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:53:08 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Valence Logrus" <valence@symboliq.org>
Cc:        "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, "'Trish Lynch'" <trish@bsdunix.net>, "'Chris Coleman'" <chrisc@vmunix.com>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hotmail _still_ runs FreeBSD!

Valence writes:

> Emotional and irrational is an exaggeration, a
> rivalry does exist however, between Scott McNealy
> and Bill Gates, if only at surface level "just for
> fun".

The willingness of Sun to sue competitors--especially Microsoft--and lobby
for government action against them would seem to indicate that it is more
than "just for fun" for at least one party to this rivalry.  If Sun spent as
much on development as it spends on lawyers, it might already be even with
Microsoft by now.

> I don't think it's too fun for Bill ...

I'm sure that Bill finds it tiring, as I would.

> Trade rags have constantly picked up sayings
> from Scott bashing Microsoft, as chairman of the
> board at Microsoft Bill has an opportunity to be
> annoyed by those comments.

Note that trade rags never seem to pick up any sayings from Bill bashing
Sun.

> Whether he is or not I surely don't know.

He probably has better things to do.

> Microsoft may just use whatever gets the job done,
> but for Sun it's a different matter ...

That is apparent.  Sun, Netscape, and a few other companies in competition
with Microsoft frequently come across as loud whiners instead of producers.
They are much more in the news for their bashing of Microsoft than for any
accomplishments of their own.

> It's like the Harvard-MIT rivalry, there really
> isn't one formally, but the sophmoric persons on
> both sides still like to believe there is one.

Sophomoric being the operative word here.