Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2019 23:15:41 -0400
From:      Charlie Li <ml+freebsd@vishwin.info>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: editors/xed name collision

--d76zDk8gJSibvl1ZSt9ikd3gUPai4kNYo
From: Charlie Li <ml+freebsd@vishwin.info>
To: Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
Cc: gnome@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>

--zElwrr0xma09jOkroRNDVtKnkMr8opBOj

Adam Weinberger wrote:
> Setting PORTNAME=3Dxed undoes any benefit of putting it in editors/x-ed=
,
> as the PKGBASE will conflict.
>=20
The editors/x-ed location is merely temporary; I didn't even add it to
INDEX pending a final consensus on what to do.
> I agree that the current editors/xed looks completely abandoned (both
> upstream and within the ports tree), and I have no objection to
> replacing it. That said, I think the current port will need to be
> deleted and the replacement svn add'ed. The port isn't actually being
> "upgraded" to the new xed, and making the svn history seem that way
> would serve no benefit.
>=20
> Even though it's likely that nobody is using the current xed, it
> really should have a deprecation notice (backported to quarterly),
> even if it's short.
>=20
Of course. The git diff shown doesn't do the whole process justice
(hence "barring how git messed up file/path-level semantics"), as the
new editors/xed actually needs repocopied from editors/gedit since xed
originally forked from gedit. Putting a deprecation notice on the old
editors/xed and MFHing it immediately sounds good.

--=20
Charlie Li
=E2=80=A6nope, still don't have an exit line.

(This email address is for mailing list use; replace local-part with
vishwin for off-list communication if possible)