Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:01:15 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@free.fr>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   What to do if a box is just "frozen"

Hello,

I've got a little application at work which can "just freeze" a
4.2-Release : the purpose of the application is just a packet blaster
used for telecom equipement test (send as many UDP packets as ordered,
on as many interfaces as there are on a machine).

So, on my 4.2-R test box (no-thrills BX, P-III 700 intel box), I have
some tens (around 30 of them) of such processes sending their packets,
and after some time (I have to more precisely determine this "some
time"), the box simply locks.
I do not see any message on console.

I have connected a real keyboard (the box was connected to a KVM
switch), I have DDB enabled in the kernel, and the box is still freezing
(if it were at least panicing, this would be a good start) : I can't
jump with ctrl-alt-esc to DDB (even Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot the
machine).

The memory does not seem to be a problem, as there are around 50 free
megabytes (out of 128), if top is to be believed (the box does not run
anything else than the blaster). the kernel is compiled with 8192 Mbuf
clusters (runs of netstat -m give a use of around 400 out of the 8192
clusters)

the "freezing" happens when the blaster is run as root, and also happens
when run as a casual user.

the box has a reset button, but this obvioulsy erases any data in
memory.

Is there something I could do to debug this problem ? (is there any way
to force a crash dump, via a serial console perhaps ? what is really
depressing is the loss of control from the keyboard, not being able to
switch to DDB)

I will try to upgrade the boxes to a more recent -Stable, to see if the
problem still exists.

	TIA for any idea

--
Thierry Herbelot