Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:18:11 -1000
From:      "Ron & Ariane Joordens" <joordens@jeack.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Corrupt Package Database?

Hello FreeBSDers,

I have a problem that is way beyond my extremely limited knowledge of
FreeBSD.
I know, that's not hard to do :-)

I was using portupgrade to upgrade KDE to 3.2.1 one part at a time. ie.
KDEbase, then KDEnetwork, etc. After each successful upgrade, I do
portverion
to check what the next KDE port is. Each time it would prompt me to do a
pkgdb
-F which in turn would indicate a stale dependancy openSSL and suggest a
new
dependancy openLDAP to which of course I would say no. The last time
however
instead of saying no to creating a new dependancy and then deleting the
openSSL dependancy, I replied 'a' for all (default was no) and it did not
ask
me to create a new dependancy.

Since then I have been unable to upgrade any port.

For instance portupgrade -Rr zsh produces the following error message

===>  Checking if shells/zsh already installed
pkg_info: /var/db/pkg/gedit2-2.4.1_1/+CONTENTS: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/shells/zsh.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/shells/zsh.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
/tmp/portupgrade22071.0
make reinstall
egrep: /var/db/pkg/gedit2-2.4.1_1/+CONTENTS: No such file or directory
egrep: /var/db/pkg/zsh-4.0.9/+CONTENTS: No such file or directory
--->  Restoring the old version
pkg_add: /var/db/pkg/gedit2-2.4.1_1/+CONTENTS: No such file or directory
Updating /etc/shells
** Fix the installation problem and try again.
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 241 packages
found (-0 +1) . done]
** The following packages were not installed or upgraded
(*:skipped / !:failed)
        ! shells/zsh (zsh-4.0.9)        (install error)

I checked the /var/db/pkg directory and just as reported gedit2 and koffice
do
not have +CONTENTS files. (They are the only ones without this file)

I have searched the web for a solution to this but the only thing I found
that
wasn't highly technical was a post in German that seemed to indicate a
cvsup.

This I did successfully, but when I run portsdb -Uu I get the following
error
message:

freebsd# portsdb -Uu
Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..===>
chinese/openoffice-zh_CN failed:
"Makefile", line 17: Could not
find /usr/ports/chinese/openoffice-zh_CN/../../editors/openoffice/Makefile
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  If so, then report
the failure to ports@FreeBSD.org together with relevant details of
your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version, environment and
/etc/make.conf
settings).*****************************************************************
***
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error

Does anyone know how to rebuild the +CONTENTS files?
Are the two error message related?

TIA

Ron
http://www.jeack.com.au