Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:37:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de (Thomas Gellekum)
Cc:        cgd@netbsd.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEC3000/400 SRM bootp overview

As Thomas Gellekum wrote ...
> cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou) writes:
>
> > Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl> writes:
> > > I just noticed that SRM 6.0 had a timeout problem when booting
> > > from my Aspen Alpine (EB64+) whereas the same SRM 6.0 worked OK
> > > booting from my K6-2 box. This leads me to the suspicion that there
> > > is something *very* timing critical (or something close to that) on
> > > the later SRM revs.

My above observation was not a valid one it seems. At least not universal.
The Sandpiper now boots via bootp from the Alpine without problem, apart
from the wellknown:

Boot device name was: "BOOTP 0 7 0 0 0 2 CORE-IO"

Your firmware may be too old to network-boot NetBSD/Alpha,
or you might have to hard-code an ethernet address into
your network boot block with setnetbootinfo(8).

> > the symptom that i noticed when looking into it was that using tcpdump
> > to watch the packets that were coming out of the alpha would show
> > packets with bad checksums.  (I forget whether they were the bootp or
> > tftp requests, or whether the bad checksums were the IP or UDP
> > checksums...  It's been a few years... 8-)
>
> Same thing here with two 3000/300s. The TFTP packet contains '\0' at
> the TOS and the first bytes of the file name fields. The firmware rev
> is 6.5. Where can I get older/working versions?

I have the f/w images, that is not the problem. How would you get them
onto the machine is the question. I mean, the machines support upgrading
firmware via bootp. Sort of chicken and egg. MOP netbooting should also work
for f/w updates I think.

Do you have a host capable of MOP serving maybe?

W/