Date:      6 Nov 1997 21:10:11 GMT
From:      chris@netmonger.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sending mail while PPP is up

In article <199711062009.PAA01228@capecod.net>, Chuck <crtb@capecod.net> wrote:
>On my modem-bound FreeBSD-2.2.2R system, a cron job running every two
>hours brings up a PPP session, and fetches mail via POP from my ISP.
>
>I read and respond to that mail at an irregular schedule, so that
>often when I send mail, the PPP link is down.  I sometimes get the
>message "Cannot send mail for five days", and wonder frequently if
>the mail ever got sent.
>
>The question: is there a signal or some other way I can communicate
>with sendmail which will cause it to attempt to send immediately?
>If so, I can put the appropriate kill command in the script which
>fetches mail.

sendmail -q

[man sendmail]
     -q[time]    Processed saved messages in the queue at given intervals.  If
                 time is omitted, process the queue once.  Time is given as a
                 tagged number, with `s' being seconds, `m' being minutes, `h'
                 being hours, `d' being days, and `w' being weeks.  For exam-
                 ple, `-q1h30m' or `-q90m' would both set the timeout to one
                 hour thirty minutes.  If time is specified, sendmail will run
                 in background.  This option can be used safely with -bd.
--
= Christopher Masto        = chris@netmonger.net = http://www.netmonger.net/  =
= NetMonger Communications = finger for  PGP key = $19.95/mo unlimited access =