Date:      Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:26:01 -0700
From:      ray@redshift.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel [memory] tweaking question

I'm doing some tweaking on my kernel tonight (FreeBSD 5.3) and I'm trying to get
a better grip on what the following lines do and what impact they could have to
the overall performance of a server:

options		SHMALL=
options		SHMMAX=
options		SHMMAXPGS=
options		SHMMIN=
options		SHMMNI=
options		SHMSEG=

I understand these control shared memory and how many semaphores the kernel can
allocate, but I guess what I'm not 100% clear on is how the kernel uses these
resources when it comes to running something like Apache or MySQL on a heavily
loaded server.  In other words, for something like Apache, how much shared
memory is required?  Or what would adding additional shared memory and/or
semaphores provide.  Does the default # provided for by FreeBSD create a problem
and/or would it use additional ram if allocated?

Is there the anyone on the list that has experience with changing these that can
provide a clear, down to earth explanation as to their impacts?  Just hearing
"you get more memory" doesn't really explain what the OS can do with it, or what
not having enough could limit, etc.

Thanks!

Ray