Date:      Wed, 21 May 2003 02:21:50 -0500
From:      Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mb.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packages-CDs for 4.8 and beyond (was: Re: freeBSD 4.8)

On Tue, 20 May 2003 16:52:28 -0400 (EDT)
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

> > Hello, i'm going to be making ISOs of the Free BSD 4.8 OS and
> > noticed that their isn't a disc 3 or 4 on the ftp in the ISO 4.8
> > image directory. I was wondering if I can just take the 4.7 disc 3
> > and 4, make them into ISO and if they will still be compatible with
> > the 4.8 version? I thought this might work due to that the 3rd and
> > 4th disc are just 3rd party packages. If this isn't possible, does
> > one of the FTP have a 4.8 version 3rd and 4th disc? Thanks for your
> > time, bye
>
> Best not to do that.  Better to just download the ports you want
> and build them.

What about those of us with non-networked computers with paltry 800M
hard drives?  :)

I understand that FreeBSD project support for the packages-CDs was
dropped so that they could be a value-added service for vendors, so I
suppose my question might be better phrased as: Does anyone have
pointers to vendors which will continue to provide packages-CDs for 4.8
and beyond (ideally as ISO images that can be downloaded free of
charge?)

-Chris