Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 21:12:21 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netcraft survey ... what ports?

At 11:01 PM 4/2/2002 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>Morning all ...
>
>         Does anyone know what ports need to be open for netcraft to
>determine OS and uptime?  My host used to record properly, now the OS is
>listed as 'unknown' and no uptime reports show up :(

Netcraft looks at the actual TCP packets sent by the Operating System.

If you have RFC 1323 extensions on, it should detect your uptime.

tcp_extensions="YES"            # Set to NO to turn off RFC1323 extensions.

I don't know why they can't detect your OS, however.  What version of
FreeBSD are you running, and do you have a firewall or other device that
might somehow mask the results?

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/