Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2012 09:45:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Dan Daley <dddaley@yahoo.com>, Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>,  Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Documenting 'make config' options

Dan Daley <dddaley@yahoo.com> wrote:
 > I usually use portmaster to install ports. The options dialogs that pop
 > up are often for dependencies. The options dialog gives the name of the
 > port for which the options are being selected, but no description or
 > indication as to why this is being installed (this could be a dependency
 > of a dependency of some dependency of the port I am installing). It's
 > probably too much for this dialog to show why this port is being
 > installed (what other port required this port that is being installed),
 > but a description of what this current port is would be helpful.
 >
 > But, if possible, some breadcrumb across the top showing the
 > dependencies which prompted this install would be great:
 >
 > Port A --> Port B --> Port C --> Current Port for which options are
 > being chosen

You might want to have a look at my "portup" script.  It can
be used to install ports, and the -w option causes it to use
a split-screen display:  The bottom 80% contain the usual
output from "make", and the top 20% show the progress of the
build, including information about dependencies.  This might
be exactly the "breadcrumb across the top" that you requested.

You can download the current version from here:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/scripts/portup

For FreeBSD >= 8.x, the -w option requires the "window" port
to be installed (from /usr/ports/misc/window) which was removed
from the base system in FreeBSD 8.x.

Usage for installing ports is simple:

# cd /usr/ports/category/foo
# portup -wy .

Best regards
   Oliver

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout