Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 22:01:29 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   My 2.2-BETA install woes are almost over!

I went thru the 2.2-BETA sysinstall for what I hope is the last
time tonight.  I had selected "dangerously dedicated" 6 times
ago when I first partitioned the disk, and just entered and quit
the partitioning menu the other 5 times.  I'm installing on
sd1, and when I finally rebooted to try my new install, I
ended up with

F1 DOS
F5 Disk 2

and F5 just gave me the same prompt again, e.g. it couldn't boot.
I booted the fixit floppy and ran fdisk, but the partition was
marked as active.  So I poked around, found /usr/mdec/boot[12]
on the installed partition (should these be on the fixit floppy
in an obvious place?) and ran "disklabel -B ...", and now I can
boot my new installation (hooray!).

I hope that this was due to the fact that I selected "standard"
boot manager when I should have selected "none", as opposed to
a required part of installation in "Dangerously Dedicated" mode.

I have to say that DD mode is significantly improved since 2.2-ALPHA
since it actually installed a usable partition table and modulo having
to fix the boot blocks, worked perfectly the first time.

Now off to fix the broken XF86 install...

  Bill