Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:03:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        tadayuki@mediaone.net
Cc:        tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, mi@aldan.algebra.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On 28 Jan, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:
> Hello Alexander,
>
> First, let me summarize what's you're saying.
> You admit that PORTREVISION bump is necessary.

Because we have 2 packages with the same version number but with a
different library dependency floating around.

> To upgrade ports, one should use portupgrade.

No, to upgrade ports, portupgrade seems to be a good way to do it in an
automated way. Portupgrade is IMHO the only usable way to update ports
for novices.

> # BTW, it's not 'portupdate'.
> It's an improvement because people can chose not to
> updadte shlibs.

It's an improvement because people which don't use portupgrade can chose
to not update shlibs.

> About PORTREVISION, Mikhail thinks otherwise.

But this (policy) is IMHO independend of his proposal (feature).

> One thing I want to ask you is:
> Why optinal knob is no better than Mikhail's proposal?

Mikhail's proposal is to have the possibility to specify ranges of
working library versions. Your proposal is to specify either only one
specific version, or no version at all.
We could have both, either a specific version, or a range of versions
(Mikhail's proposal wrapped withhin your proposal); if we want to have
both possibilities.

> With the knob, people actually can chose to update shlib or not to.

Mikhail's proposal adds a layer of safety. It complains with a
meaningfull message (install a new lib) if the user has a library with
an incompatible API.

>> What if this port only works with freetype library versions greater than
>> 4?
> Please check ports/graphic/gd/Makefile. I just added '.ifdef'.
> If you can accept his change, why not this?

Are we talking about rev 1.49? It has no dependency on a particular
library version. Just in case: feel free to replace 'freetype' in my
above sentence you quoted with any library you want.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   "One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft promotional ad
         "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer"  -- Adolf Hitler