Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 12:52:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        paul@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

>  * We can improve things a lot from where we currently are but it does
>  * complicate things that much more. In this case I think it's worth it
>  * though. Having PPP start up and download something I already have is
>  * really bad.
>
> The last sentence I can agree, but requiring all the exec_depends'
> pathnames is a little too much.  The three "default" cases (see above)
> should cover most of what we need.

Which comes back to the original point, the current mechanism fails not
because the code isn't installed but because it isn't in the users
default path. The thing that's wrong with the current scheme is that
it relies on the path environment rather than checking that the files
are actually there.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul