Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:48:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      ComCAT Tech Support <jerryr@ComCAT.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Modem/Com Port problem

I'm having a stange problem and have seeked help in a lot of places irc
etc..

When I run ppp I get a prompt and I type dial ISP.  I displayed is dialing
ISP, on the modem the 'TR' light comes on for a few moments and goes out.
The screen displays dial failed.  I've also tired running term again the
'TR' on the modem comes on but I get no echo of my commands and my
response from the modem, when I exit term the 'TR' light goes out.
Everything seems to be setup correctly the modem is an external
MotorolaSurfr 56k connected a comport controller card set to com2 irq3.
The kernel is has the entries sio1 com2 irq3 and tun 1.  The ppp is set to
use cau1.

Any help would be great, please keep in mind although I know my way around
I'm far from being an expert (obviously!).  I've had people tell me it
doesn't sound like it is set to the right com port?!?!  But they can't
offer any more info.

Thanks for your Help!
Jerry