Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 22:19:23 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/ibcs2 ibcs2_ioctl.h ibcs2_ipc.h ibcs2_isc_syscall.h ibcs2_isc_sysent.c ...

On Oct 10, 20:00, Ollivier Robert wrote:
} Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/ibcs2 ibcs2_ioctl.h ibcs2_ipc.h ibcs
} It seems that Stefan Esser said:
} > But I think that the the emulation libraries and binaries
} > should be put in a directory below /usr, not in /emul ...
}
} I thought we had already reserved /compat for that...

Yes, I know. But I thought it is the last time to review this decision,
before /compat (or whatever else it possibly be named :) is brought to
full production use ...

It's just the latest possible date to reconsider this issue :)

If nobody else is afraid that there will be lots of people that just
don't understand why installing the compatibility libraries under
/compat makes their system unusable (i.e. no space left in /tmp or /var
on a default installation).

I'm not afraid about those people who fully understand the concepts,
those will be able to use whatever the system provides.

But just in case there is a "port" containing just the binary images
of the Linux a.out XFree libraries. A simple make install (or package
add, if they are made a package) will just fill the root directory.

The install should not create a link from /compat to /usr/compat, and
thus this has to be done by the user before starting the install ...

We all know what kind of "bug-reports" will come out of this (how many
times has the NumLock bug in XFree been explained anew ...), and I just
wanted to suggest moving the /compat stuff into /usr/emul (or perhaps
even /usr/local/emul).

This will leave all options open, but will do the right thing in case
a user just copies the compat libraries to that place ...

I've sent another mail explaining, why I think that if just a single
directory is searched (e.g. /compat/ibcs2/lib) a mount of a System V
/usr file system on /compat/ibcs2 would not be much use. There were
other directories that contain shared libraries under 386/ix at least
(I never had to work on a SCO system), and thus it would in this case
be possible to mount the /usr anywhere, and have symlinks from the
lib directory (i.e. my favorite /usr/emul/lib) to the libraries in
all the directories ...

If you oppose thismidea, it's fine with me. I'm fealing responsible for
bug reports about some other part of the system :)

Just that I'm afraid, that if the emulation code gets popular, we'll
have to answer the same questions over and over again ...

Regards, Stefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160