Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 19:30:13 -0500
From:      Constantine Shkolnyy <stan@osgroup.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Lazy SPLs

On Thursday, May 20, 1999 7:18 PM, Joel Ray Holveck [SMTP:joelh@gnu.org]
wrote:
> >> We've been doing it for as long as I can remember, at least as far
> >> back as 2.0.5, probably as far back as 1.x.
> > My earliest memory of it was as "Bruce's new interrupt code" for
386bsd.

> > It was part of the 386bsd patchkit I think.
>
> Why mask out the interrupts at all, instead of queuing them in handler
> level?

Because only the device's driver knows how to stop the device from
interrupting again and again, but calling its handler is prohibited.

Lazy SPLs is an optimization. Drivers play with SPLs very often, so it
would
be unefficient to program the interrupt controller each time when somebody
wants to increment a counter. However, if the device has indeed
interrupted,
there is no choice left except disabling it in the interrupt controller.