Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:03:37 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
Cc:        portmgr@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thoughts about ports freeze

Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> And I don't have a single good argument to reply to those
> complains with - users usually don't care about 5.0, but they do care
> about their 4.x production machines receiving latest updates and fixes,
> and the current situation pisses them off.
> What do people think?

I think *something* should certainly be done -- the ports tree should
be unfrozen, in whatever way possible.  I love FreeBSD, but as of now
I'm in the above category -- at the moment I don't care about 5.0 but
I do want my 4.x updates.  You're quite right about the current
situation "pissing people off."  If this continues, we can forget
about ever popularizing "FreeBSD on the desktop."

What about freezing some small "core" set of ports, say XFree86, a
couple of window managers, a web browser, etc; and unfreezing the
rest?  Even for those ports, isn't it possible to freeze the 5.0
version (with an .if defined(...)  ... .endif bracketing the entire
frozen part for 5.0 only)  and let the 4.x version evolve on its own?

Thanks,

Rahul