Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:44:42 +0100
From:      dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running more than one server with one IP address

On Sunday 28 August 2005 19:28, David Banning wrote:
> Is it possible to run more than one server(machine) with one IP
> address? I have so many different server-applications running on my machine
> I would like to divide them up.
>
> Maybe using one machine email only, or use one for certain websites,
> and another for other websites. This would also allow me to take-down
> one machines for maintenance when necessary, or use one machine for
> more troubleshooting.

I don't think you will be able to run different web sites from different
machines if you only have one IP address (at least not easily).  You can run
different services on different machines though.

> Wondering if someone could even direct me to the terminology that I am
> looking for so I can google it.

The terms you are looking for are port forwarding and Network Address
Translation.

I'm sure others can elaborate (or tell me I'm wrong) ;-)

--
Dave