Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 21:31:44 -0800
From:      Brett Bourbin <brett@selgus.com>
To:        garya@dreamchaser.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps/2 mouse?

garya@dreamchaser.org wrote:
> As a newbie here, I'm probably being stupid...
>
> I have a Micron system with a PS/2 mouse.
> At least I *think* it's a ps/2 mouse;
> win95 *says* it's a ps/2 mouse, at irq 12
>
> I rebuilt the kernel with the psm device,
> but when the sys boots it doesn't find it:
>
> psm0 not found at 0x60
>
> Mouse works fine under win95.
>
> Can anyone give me any hints?  Thanks

You most likely do have a PS/2 mouse-- it is the FreeBSD PS/2
mouse probe code that is broken.

The probe code looks like it works on only certain
motherboards, and does not use the BIOS to check for the
existance of the devices.

A better way would have been at boot time to do a BIOS int 0x11
and check the PS/2 mouse bit.

If you know you have the hardware attached, you could do what
I did, and just comment out the test code in the psmprobe()
code in psm.c in the kernel. (Make it so it always returns
true, mouse is there).

--
  Brett Bourbin, President	SELGUS LIMITED
  brett@selgus.com		555 Bryant Street, Suite 221