Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:04:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   default device names.. rc interface suggestion

Ok, I don't think this got out the first time I sent it (my ethernet cable
has been giving me problems--and I never received back a copy), so I'm
sending it again.  Sorry for the redundancy, if people get redundancy..

Just a thought, which I think would help simplify things a touch for
people administrating many different FreeBSD boxes (which I do).
Basically, have /etc/devices, which is simply a map of what 'standard'
devices are actually what 'real' devices, and have the VERY FIRST action
of /etc/rc be to softlink all of the standard devices to the real devices?
The file could be something simple like:

video    ttyv0
kbd      ttyv0
net      ed0
mouse    ttyd1
[...]

Then just drop the code at the top of /etc/rc which does the softlinks.
The advantages of this, is that the remaining startup scripts executed
could then use these 'standard' devices--so changes which must be made are
kept to a minimum.  In general this is not a big deal--as most people only
use one or two systems.  However, where I work we've "grown"  quite a few
FreeBSD boxes, and all have different hardware.  Administrating all of
them is annoying at times, as some have their ethernet device at ed0,
others off de0, etc--some have serial mice, others bus, one has a PS2
mouse.  I doubt most interfaces would change much, and in general
something like this wouldn't be used often--but it would be VERY nice in
that it would provide an abstraction layer which would help in system
administration.  Furthermore, it would finally shutup the linux group who
whine because FreeBSD doesn't have /dev/mouse 8b

Just some thoughts

-Brandon Gillespie