Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 16:49:32 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about mdoc formatting

How do you force a newline in mdoc?

Example:

.It Ev DEF_BUILD_DIR
If set, is used as the path of the build directory instead of
.Pa /usr/src/sys/compile .
It can be overridden by the
.Fl d Ar destdir
option.

Produces this (I've removed the overall indenting to prevent emacs
and/or mutt wrapping the lines):

DEF_BUILD_DIR  If set, is used as the path of the build directory instead
               of /usr/src/sys/compile. It can be overridden by the -d
               destdir option.

The line is split between ``-d'' and ``destdir'' which is, at least
IMHO, bad as it splits what is really a single entity (BTW, is this
illegal from a style point of view in FreeBSD manpages?).

I want to force the line split *before* the ``-d'' to give:

DEF_BUILD_DIR  If set, is used as the path of the build directory instead
               of /usr/src/sys/compile. It can be overridden by the
	       -d destdir option.

OK, I can do it by adding the word ``using'' after ``by'' but that may
not always be an option.

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX