Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:51:11 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vhd file from snapshots: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND

--xcZCW6l6Uhoukq6i

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 01:43:13PM -0700, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> > On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:44:01PM -0700, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I downloaded FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-20140714-r268622.vhd.xz
> > > from
> > >
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/VM-IMAGES/11.0-CURRENT/amd6=
4/20140714/

> > > Under MacOS X, I uncompressed the .vhd.xz file.  I used VirtualBox, a=
nd
> > > created a VM.  When I tried to attach
> > > the .vhd file to this VM, VirtualBox gave this error:
> > >
> > > VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > There are a few issues with how qemu-img creates the VHD.  The use of
> > qemu-img will very soon be not required, thanks to marcel@ adding VHD
> > support to mkimg(1).
> >
> > In the meantime, can you try cloning the VHD disk, but instead of
> > a dynamically-allocated image, set it to be a fixed-size image?  I have
> > had very sporadic success with this, so cannot guarantee it will work.
> >
> > The VMDK image, however, should work without issue, if you are unable to
> > get the VHD image to work.
> >
>=20
>=20
> I don't know how to clone the VHD disk.  Inside VirtualBox, I created a
> FreeBSD VM with no disks,
> and then attached the VHD image as a disk to this new VM.  It wasn't
> working.
>=20

It is a bit tricky (and non-intuitive), but if I remember correctly, it
needs to be done from the Virtual Media manager.  Attach the disk to
a VM, then in the VMM, there should be an option to clone the disk
image, which the next few steps will ask if you want to clone as
a dynamic- or fixed- image.  I don't have virtualbox available to me at
the moment to give exact steps, though.

> However, I tried doing the same thing with the VMDK image, and that worked
> fine.
>=20

Ok, good.

> If the new mkimg can create VHD files which import without problem into
> VirtualBox, that will be a huge improvement.

Yes, this is the plan.

Glen

--xcZCW6l6Uhoukq6i

--xcZCW6l6Uhoukq6i--