Date:      Thu,  1 Feb 2001 11:35:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Terry R. Friedrichsen" <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OSF/1 binaries

Terry R. Friedrichsen writes:
 > imgact_osf1: can't read /compat/osf1/sbin/loader
 >
 > and sure enough, this file is not on my system, nor is it on the live file-
 > system on CD-ROM #2.
 >
 > How should this file get installed?  Where can I find it?
 >
 > A direct reply would be appreciated, as I am not subscribed to this list
 > (too much mail already).  However, if I can find an archive for this list,
 > I'll look there for replies, too.

You want to install the osf1_base port.  Eg:
cd /usr/ports/emulators/osf1_base && make && make install

The osf1 shared libraries and shared-lib loader (the /sbin/loader you
refered to above) are distributed by Compaq as part of a Netscape rpm
for alpha linux.  I don't think we are allowed to ship them
separately, so they are not included on your CDs.

I'd suggest installing the rpm port prior to installing the osf1_base
port.  The osf1_base port depends on rpm2cpio, and if you don't have
rpm installed, you'll get a painfully slow perl version of rpm2cpio..

Cheers,

Drew