Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 16:16:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Strange LKM problems

I have occasional failures loading up LKM modules, without any
obvious reasons.

I'm using this "./in" script to install the module:

> desmond# cat ./in
> modload -v -A /kernel -e sermux_init -o sermux.out sermux_mod.o
> ./setldisc /dev/ttyd4 7
> ./setldisc /dev/ttyd5 7
> desmond#

And look at this failure:

> desmond# ./in
> modload: not an a.out format file
> TIOCSETD: Operation not supported by device
> TIOCSETD: Operation not supported by device
> desmond#
> desmond# sync
> desmond# rm sermux.out
> desmond# ./in
> Registered line discipline at 7.
> sermux loaded.
> Module loaded as ID 1

Here you see two load attempts in a row with nothing else happening
in between them, and note that it worked fine the second time
without my doing anything.  In another window I checked the output
file on the NFS server that has the object on it:

> hda# nm *.out
> nm: sermux.out: not object file or archive.

so after it failed the first time it wasn't an object file. (I
stupidly didn't ls it; I bet it was null). When the load worked it
was fine.

This is on an NFS mounted partition; the system that is doing the

I also had a random crash during the load, and then checking
the .out file I had a complaint about the .stab entries.  It
is as if the file is short sometimes.

I've tried to reproduce the problem by continuously loading and
unloading the module in a command script but without any luck: If
it is going to fail at all, it is the first time after a
reboot and then I can't get it to happen again.

Any ideas?  It is really odd.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936